About my research
I am interested in phonological theory, especially tonal representation, tone sandhi, and phonological process interactions.
For my MA at the University of Arizona, I worked on tone sandhi in the Nanjing dialect.
That is available here.
Additionally, I am an avid writer of Chinese poetry. You can read manuscripts
of some of my favorite collections here and
- Accepted. Notational equivalence in tonal geometry. Phonology. [pdf]
- with Jane Chandlee. To appear. A computational account of tone sandhi ordering paradoxes. Supplemental Proceedings of NELS 50.
- with Siddharth Bhaskar, Jane Chandlee, and Adam Jardine. Accepted. Boolean monadic recursive schemes as a logical characterization of the subsequential functions. 14th International Conference on Language and Automata Theory and Applications (LATA 2020). [pdf]
- with Nate Koser and Adam Jardine. 2019. Tone association and output locality in non-linear structures.
In Hout, K., Mai, A., McCollum, A., Rose, S., and Zalansky, M., eds, Supplemental Proceedings of the 2018 Annual
Meeting on Phonology. LSA. [pdf]
- 2019. Tone merger in the Nanjing Dialect: An acoustic analysis. In the Proceedings of the
29th Meeting of the North American Conference of Chinese Linguistics.
- with Feng-hsi Liu. 2014. Disyllabic bound morphemes in modern Mandarin Chinese: an
analysis of yiqian and yihou. Journal of Chinese Linguistics
42(1): 55-92. [pdf]